Thursday, January 3, 2019

Week One ~ Tiny Town



For week one I've chosen to feature the Tiny Town prompt.  I couldn't decide on just one image so I've decided this one should be a photo study.  In a sleepy little town on Christmas afternoon I walked the streets of downtown Buchanan, Virginia.  It lies on US Route 11 to the north and east of Roanoke.  Typical of many picturesque little southern towns there are more churches on the main street than restaurants.

First up the Baptist and Lutheran Churches. 


Followed by the Presbyterian and United Methodist Churches.  They're all such beautiful brick construction buildings. 






 I've attended a few services at the Presbyterian church and wish I could have gotten inside to get a few images.  White walls, gorgeous hardwood floor and wooden pews adorn the small sanctuary.  During the Christmas season last year they had fresh greenery decorating the room.  It was cozy and so very welcoming.




The memorial rescue squad center sits across the street from the Buchanan Volunteer Fire Department.  I'll have to go back sometime when the town's not all closed up for a holiday to get a picture of the engines out in front of the building.  




Picking Christmas day for this walk was a mixed blessing.  I didn't have to try very hard to capture everything I wanted without a bunch of random strangers or cars in the images.  Not that it's a huge challenge unless it's open house weekend or a holiday like Independence Day, Memorial Day or Labor Day.  This town really comes alive for a celebration! But the walk was also rather lonely and a little bit creepy.  






Ransone's Drug and The Fountain sandwich and soda fountain is a fixture in the little town.  They make a mean BLT, delicious burger and one of the best club sandwiches I've eaten.  They also make a killer-diller milkshake.  Don't be in a rush though!  If you're expecting a fast meal you might be disappointed.  This charming little spot, like the rest of the valley exists at a slower pace.  I actually love that about it.  




The Buchanan theater shows two movies per week on Thrusday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  I still haven't been able to catch a movie there yet, but I will one day!  The town is just eleven miles away from my parents' house.  From what I hear though it's a charming little theater with candy counter.  The ticket booth sits out front still.  






Down by the river is a very large park the town uses for festivals and fairs.  If you happen to be in the area near the fourth of July definitely check it out!  We played bingo for a quarter/card/game.  This little gazebo sits at one end of the park and I don't know why but every time I visit I am inexplicably drawn to the little building.  It's quite a nice place to sit and people watch too.  









I'll wrap up with just a few more pictures from around town.  






1 comment: