Monday, February 11, 2019

Week Seven ~ Someplace Peaceful

This one was an enlightening and strange discovery for me in January 2018.  I had driven cross-country from Virginia to California with my mom.  On day nine of the trip we left San Francisco to head to our final destination, Sacramento.  On the way out of town we headed to Muir Woods for a morning walk on an overcast day.  I can still remember how warm it was and how wet the woods were without feeling muggy like warm wet days back home. 

Usually, my peaceful spot is sitting on a beach watching the wave roll in and listening to the crash of all that water against the shore.  Staring out at the horizon and realizing just how small a part I am in this great wide world.  Kind of makes my worries seem tiny.  But on this particular day as we began to walk in those woods with my frayed nerves, the group of tourists that entered with us spread out and thinned out.  Suddenly I could feel this energy around me and a calm wash through me. 
It was amazing and I so desperately want to take my husband on a trip back there so he can see, hear and feel it too.  The woods were quiet and seemed so vast.  It reminded me of the thick forests from Middle Earth.  Along the way I found this felled tree that looked like a heart and that sealed it.  I fell in love with Muir Woods.  So, instead of rambling through the photos this time, I leave you with this quote, "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks" John Muir.

 






“Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity” 
― John Muir, Our National Parks














I wanted to hide in these trees, just sit in them and be with nature, maybe read a book or just be still and wonder at the marvelous creation in which God so generously placed me.




“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” 
― John Muir



No comments:

Post a Comment